Can Time Please Slow Down...

Week 3 and 4 of my summer have quickly disappeared and we are well on our way into July, and all I really want is a minute to stop and breath. I feel like the last two weeks have flown by and I know that it will go quicker as we approach the start of a new school year. Secretly, I am excited for school to start and to set up a new classroom and such (yes I know I am a dork) but I also want to be able to be cherish and capture all the fun adventures this summer still has left.

Some hits and misses of the last two weeks:

I spent close to a week in Houston and was able to spend time with my family and see my old friend, Allison.

  • I love being able to catch up with Allison it might be months in between us seeing each other but we are always able to pick up right where we left off.
  • Family time was both wonderful and exhausting at the same time. My little brother, Daniel, is almost six so I cherish being able to spend time with him as he becomes more of his own person.
  • My mother and I saw Magic Mike together, perhaps not a movie you would normally see with your mother, but I enjoyed being able to give her a break from constantly being at her place.
  • My Dad and I made plans for brunch my last day, a belated Father's Day and birthday meeting, and my other brother Jake was able to make it out with us. A rare occurrence.
  • As I left Houston, it rained the entire drive back to Austin. Of course we need the rain, but I am already not the most confident driver and it made for a stressful drive home.
  • The rain seemed to fit my mood though, I think as you become an adult you spend more time dwelling on if your parents are fulfilled than you did as a child. When you come from a family of divorce I think it is easier to dwell on it more than not. You don't want your parents to be alone and grow old by themselves and you really want them to enjoy their life as much as they want you to. Perhaps it is some sort of sign that I have gotten to a less selfish place in my own life, or that my parents have also become my friends (something as a child you doubt would every happen) but I either way I left Houston in a somber mood as I hope the next few years will bring more happiness for both my parents.


I am not sure if I have mentioned this before, but I am addict. I am addicted to Pinterest, cooking and crafting. I should also mention that it seems like lately I have had more misses than hits with trying out my pinterest finds. It also has made me incredibly indecisive in making any decorating decisions (a story for another post).

  • Dried strawberries do not work, they just cause you to run your oven for five hours to find blackened mushy berries.
  • I have no skill at painting my nails creatively, so repinning lots of fourth of July nail designs and attempting them was in fact a waste of time.
  • Cutting up old shirts into cute tank tops also doesn't work for me, even if I purchase the $20.00 special fabric scissors. I am too impatient and too much of a perfectionist to actually wear the cut up shirt. 
  • On the positive side, zucchini and sweet potato chips are AMAZING! Especially on the river, as are most snacks I found, why I didn't think of this when I was 21 is really beyond me.
  • Stir fried asparagus and pork turned out awesome, and Amber, Mr. B and myself enjoyed a lovely evening of great food, reminiscing and too much fireball.


This week we went floating with Mr. B's coworkers and had a great time on the river. Even at Donn's Fish Camp, my least favorite place to float. And then we spent the Fourth of July shooting fireworks at Gina and Tom's house a low key but relaxing evening.



I definitely didn't take nearly enough pictures, spent entirely too much time at Target and Ross, didn't spend nearly enough time on the hammock (though with three books already read this summer I am probably doing ok) but as fast as it is speeding by I am certainly enjoying my summer so far.

I imagine the next two weeks will go by just as fast: Mr. B's brother will be in town, boat party, Tom's birthday party and a trip to Corpus Christi for a week. I can't wait.


The Babbling Box

No comments