Just get me a really BIG closet!

I have openly admitted that I am addicted to shopping pretty regularly around here.


I have also posted that I organized my closet again this weekend and in the past year blogged about my closet both here and here
So obviously my closet is pretty important to me.

When Mr. B and I moved in together we had a pretty short wish list: he needed a 'man cave' and all I said:


My closet is most definitely my sanctuary and for someone as OCD as me an organized closet makes me feel at peace with the world. 
Kind of like some people feel when they do charity, don't judge!

So I thought I would put together a little checklist for if when you become as obsessed with organizing your closet as I am. 
Saving one closet at a time, you can thank me later!



ONE - SET ASIDE TIME
No proper organization will take place if you are worried about dinner or meeting up with friends, 
instead you will be playing dress up.

TWO - PICK THE RIGHT TUNES
For me having some tunes to jam to helps me stay focused on the process at hand, 
and not go insane in that tiny confined area.

My favorite right now is:


THREE - GET RELAXED
Pick your favorite way to relax and indulge, 
whether its a glass of wine, cold beer...or something a little stronger. 
You should be enjoying this so why not indulge.

FOUR - PICK A STARTING POINT
I know this seems like, duh! 
But for an ADD person this one is super important for me to remember, just because I see these shoes, belt, dress that just have to go I need to just wait till I finish the section I am on.

FIVE - MAKE PILES
Designate at least three bags: one for trash, one for donate and one for whatever fits your needs (making my sister happy is generally my third bag). When I know where things are supposed to go I stay more focused and don't trap myself in my closet. 
Mr. B never answers those distress calls.


SIX - DESIGN TO YOUR OWN TASTE
For me I need my clothes color coded, helps my OCD and makes outfit planning easier. But I also need certain things more available like my tank tops, so I have a special section just for tanks because they go under everything I wear.

I think finding an organization system that fits your needs is super important as no one gets dressed the same way...

actually its one foot in at a time so perhaps that's wrong.


SEVEN - USE YOUR SPACE WISELY
Personally I have had large closets and even my own shoe closet all the way down to the smallest closets and I have handled each one with ease.
I lie:
when I moved in to my dorm room I had a full on panic attack;
when I moved in with Mr. B the first time I cried for 30 solid minutes.
So first it is important to have a meltdown then begin organizing.

Going up is always the easiest option, my shoes are always stacked on wire baskets high above my closet and I just keep a small stool in my closet. Plus I always think they look so pretty being displayed and not shoved under clothes. Like artwork in a closet.


Baskets are also key. 
I like baskets that are not clear and are tons of different sizes.
This hides the clutter but also makes stacking easy.
I keep things like bathing suits, belts, tights, gym shorts tucked away in the baskets and change out the order depending upon the season.
Ignore Mr. B's jersey, I do give him a 1/8th of the closet we share.


Command hooks and push pins are also incredible helpful in hanging up scarves, hats and necklaces. For me my closet is my sanctuary so I like to see pretty things when I look at the walls and not stupid cornfield walls, so hanging these items up is a win win situation.


EIGHT - MAKE A SCHEDULE
A task always looks bigger the longer you put it off. I used to just reorganize my closet every time I moved, but now that I am not moving every year I needed a schedule. For me I reorganize in June and December, which for a teacher schedule works out perfectly. Also doing this every six months means it takes a whole lot less time, the first time I did this last summer I had way too much time to indulge...a story for another post.

NINE - HAVE A SYSTEM
Once my closet is all pretty and organized I try to make it easy to remember what clothes I wear and what clothes I didn't touch in six months. Enter pinterest, duh!


Now I always know what clothes are being worn and what clothes are being ignored, this is probably the best tip in the whole damn post, perhaps I hid it at the end to keep you around longer.

TEN - LET GO OF EMOTIONS
Practicality is not my strong suit, ask Mr. B. 
But when I realized that I had 40+ pair of high heels last June and I was just not wearing them to teach anymore I had to reevaluate my need for these heels. I have a hard time letting go of clothes because they hold sentimental value, but the truth is they are just taking up space were new more fabulous clothes could go. Saying goodbye to half of those shoes was heartbreaking at the time but now I have even cuter flats that make more sense for my job. 
Don't worry I still have 12 or so pair of heels hiding in my closet.

I tend to let a sentimental item break rule nine for one closet organization but by the second session if I still haven't worn the item I say goodbye. I also will keep my goodwill bags for a month or so in my spare closet and see if I have any remorse, 
and that is never happened before.

Hopefully you found a few of my tips helpful and I will have saved another closet!

Each month I look at my debt and shudder 
but then I look at my neatly organized closet and all debt is forgotten. 
Please don't let Mr. B know this is how my brain works.




- The Babbling Box!

No comments