Over Planning

Two weeks from tomorrow I leave on a grand adventure to New York with my mom and sister.

It wasn't the best planned trip on my part:
one. I am poor but going to a super expensive city, makes sense right.
two. I literally am giving myself four days to 'unwind' go school clothes shopping and prepare for school starting, not smart at all.
three. I am staying in a tiny hotel room with a sister who loves to annoy my mom and a mom who doesn't drink or eat anything bad. ever. 
I probably have lost my marbles.
Did I mention I am poor?

My solution at first was to avoid thinking about the trip. 
Now that it is just a few weeks away my over planning crazy obsessive ways are hitting me full force.

I should mention that I went to New York once before when I was 19 with a college roommate, we stayed two nights in a hotel and one night in the airport. Nine years later and my money issues sure look the same. Since we were on such a short time frame I planned out our trip by the hour and printed her a copy of the itinerary.

I did mention I am crazy right. 


I have been researching fun free things we can do in New York to see the city but you know...be able to pay rent when its over.

And then it hit me.

The best idea ever!

Since I love am obsessed with all things TV and movies, why not recreate all of the famous New York scenes. Essentially we will run around and take pictures or act out different scenes. 
Get to see the city for free, check. Get amazing hilarious pictures, check. Day drinking, check.  


The best part is my bestie is coming up from Pennsylvania to spend the day and this would be the perfect thing to do with her and my sister while my mom is in class.

So here is what I have so far!


1. Breakfast at Tiffany's. enough said. 


2. Gossip Girl - Hold court on the Met steps.


3. You've Got Mail - meet at Cafe Lola

Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan meet at Cafe Lalo. The popular New York City cafe -- located at 83rd Street and Amsterdam Avenue -- also appears in the Bollywood film Anjaana Anjaani.

4. Home Alone 2 - act lost in the city

Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin) visits Radio City Music Hall during his tour of Manhattan. Radio City also appears in a bunch of movies, including "Quiz Show," "The Godfather" and "Private Parts."

5. Dark Night Rises - create a riot at Federal Hall on Wall Street


6. Friends - Monica's Apartment - join the gang

undefined

7. Seinfeld's Tom's Restaurant


8. The steps of Carrie Bradshaw's apartment.


So what else am I missing? 
If you were going to go on a movie/TV scavenger hunt in NYC what would be the place you had to see? 

Besides running around like crazy people we probably need to eat so I would love suggestions of the best places to eat in NYC!

- The Babbling Box!

4 comments

  1. Ohh! Sleepless in Seattle! Find Walter on the top of the Empire State Building!! (Walter was the stuffed bear, but I'm sure you knew that. Because you are female and all females have seen this movie a bajillion times!!)
    Or.... wear an elf costume and sing in the middle of Gimbels, "I'm in a store and I'm singing!!! I'm in a store and I'm siiiiingiiiiing!"
    I think this is a really cute idea! Have fun even if you don't have much cash flow! You only life once; Just say YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!!!!!!! You know my favorite is the Gossip Girl one. You need to make sure you take a headband with you. I need to be thinking..I'll get back to you on that. I haven't been to NYC since I was 18. I'd love to go back as an adult.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea!!!! When we went, we had to visit the Ghostbusters firehouse, and we also ventured a bit further afield to the Unisphere from Men in Black which is at Corona Park. As for other things you could reenact, why not all climb into the Pulitzer fountain and put a sofa in front of it, just like the titles to Friends?!
    For places to eat, if you find yourself on West 42nd Street there's a place along there called Well Green Market that does amazing fresh sandwiches. I realise it's a bit off the usual track though! There are loads of places in Grand Central Station to eat, and you're never far from fast food or a deli to be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank goodness.

    I went to NYC and felt like such a weirdo because everyone else wasn't constantly referencing TV and movies. I'm sorry, but that's ALL I KNOW OF NEW YORK.

    I also went to 30 Rock (love the show) and if you do go the Empire State Building I'm sure you could go all Ted from HIMYM and state a bunch of lame architecture facts to annoy the people around you.

    Thanks for making me feel less crazy, and have a good time. I expected to enjoy my trip there, but I really ended up LOVING it!

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete